Custom Domain How To
The end goal is the customer needs to provide us a certificate and the associated private key to make the certificate. To purchase a certificate, the customer must first create a CSR (certificate signing request) and use that to buy a certificate.
The steps to do this are:
1. Confirm domain of choice with client (e.g. secureworldexpo.com, mybio.org).
- Note: client must be domain owner, to verify you can do whois check: http://whois.net/
2. Next the client needs to update their DNS. This is a bit tricky. If the customer is mapping the root of their domain, so like zerista.com, it needs to be an A RECORD, like this:
- Type: A RECORD
- Name: *YOUR DOMAIN NAME*.com
- Value: Zerista-Production-Web-LB-2027295780.us-west-2.elb.amazonaws.com
- TTL: 3600
3. If the customer is not mapping the root, for example zeristacon.zerista.com, then a CNAME is better, like this:
- Type: CNAME
- Name: *YOUR DOMAIN NAME*.zerista.com
- Value: my.zerista.com
- TTL: 3600
- Note: This should be done using the management console provided by the customer's DNS provider. Often times it will also be the same company as their registrar, but does not have to be.
Create a ticket in the Zerista Tech Support Queue to update web server configuration to use new custom domain and setup SSL certificates. All the technical team needs is the following:
- Whitelabel Domain
- Zerista conference URL
- Note: Once the engineering team sets up the whitelabel we will send an email validation to the below. The client will have 72 hours to respond to that to validate our setup. Please let them know this will be arriving!
Technical Support Responsibilities
TS Team, hit the Apx site, Login with the ‘Sign in with Google’’ using your @zerista.com address
- Click AWS Cert Create
- Enter the domain of the whitelabel
- Only enter a validation domain if multiple subdomains (my.app.ibc.org would be ibc.org) exist in whitelabel
- Run Command
- Once it runs see the status as ‘pending validation
- Respond to PM and let them know they have 72 hours for the client to accept the validation request
- To view the status of an outstanding domain go to:
- Aws Cert Status
- Enter the whitelabel under params
- Run command
- See status
- If expired re-create again using instruction in Step 5
- If ‘issued’ the certified has been accepted, move to Step 7
- Click Aws Cert Update
- Under Params enter your domain
- Under action select ‘Add’
- Run Command
- See successfully updated: production
- Add your whitelabel url to your site by hitting this extension /admin/host/editor in the admin.
- Note: To test whitelabel url it is advised to test in an incognito window
- Last step and most important for the best user experience. TS team please build the native apps for both android and iOS to ensure the site association files are updated and pop the app open when a whitelabeled link is clicked on a device.
Checklist for the TS team:
- Check https://whateverdomain.com/.well-known/assetlinks.json & https://whateverdomain.com/.well-known/apple-app-site-association
- Verify it is not a 404
- if its a 404 or its not downloading or you can’t see any json data. let dev team know. cos we set those up.
- if those sites give a 404 or is unreachable. no deep linking will happen